Monday, September 17, 2012

Lebanon-The Kidnapped Peace!


I just came back from a social trip to Lebanon. Dear Lebanese friends, Gilbert and Miriam Khaleel, were wedding and a beloved couple fell ill. 

I was warned that it wasn’t safe for Gulf citizens to visit at this time. A Shitte tribal family in the North threatened to kidnap Syrian, Turki, Saudi and Qatari visitors if the Free Syrian Army didn’t free their son. They assumed Turkey and Gulf countries supported the army and thus had the clout to free him.  

The Free Army, on the other hand, insisted that the Lebanese they arrested in Damascus were Hezbollah military officers supporting the Syrian government military campaign against their own people. The Turkish was released after a high Turkish delegation arrived to pressure the Lebanese government, not so much luck for the Syrians. The Lebanese government was up in arms to resolve the issue. 

Politicians and businessmen were calling this a spill off from the Syrian crisis and a political and business disaster.  The Gulf tourists provide the most valuable source of income to the vital tourist industry. The Eid holiday is the most lucrative season, and the issue could not have occurred in worse timing. Syria, they say, is releasing its hot steam into its small peaceful neighbour, like it wasn’t enough that refugee camps on the Lebanese border are swelling with increasing number of Syrians escaping the raging wars in their towns and villages. 

Thankfully, the issue was resolved quickly. The Lebanese government, dominated by Hezbollah alliance, pressured the tribe; the Shitte parties, including Amal, took the government side; and the tribe leaders announced ”we will no longer take any ‘military actions’ on the Lebanese proper”. 

I felt safe shopping, dining and conducting meetings in Beirut, moving around in my rented car alone or with my Lebanese friends. 

People who knew were I came from would do their best to please, then eargerly ask about my experience. When I approved, they would say: “Please tell that back home. Lebanon cannot be Lebanon without the Gulf people. What wrong have we done? why do we have to pay such hefty price for a crazy action from a non-responsible family? Besides, troubles are happening far away from here-in Tripoli, the capital of the North, and some Syrian border areas. Beirut, Beit Al-Dine, Sour, Sidon and the rest of the country are as safe and welcoming as ever. The media is making too much an issue of a lone incident and small fire! Don’t believe them! Come see for yourself, ” 

Still I was cautious. I stayed close to hotel, and only went to known places and areas.  I met with friends, and wouldn’t mix or show my true identity to strangers. Because I felt safer every day, and since a couple of my Lebanese friends were still ill, I decided to extend my week-long visit three more days. 

Suddenly, I received many calls from worried Saudi family and friends. It was just announced that a Kuwaiti was kidnapped during a visit to his Lebanese wife’s town in the Shitte Beqaa Valley, near the Syrian border. The kidnappers were after money this time. They figured a Kuwaiti ransom would be worth a fortune. 

Again, a political issue resulted from a common crime. The Lebanese government moved quickly to free the man and punish the criminals. But the damage was already done. Now it is official in Gulf countries, Lebanon is not safe for us. 

I had to leave, not because I was afraid-life was as normal and delightful as ever in Beirut, but because my beloved in Saudi wouldn’t understand. Even some of my Lebanese friends started to worry. The unknown is man’s worst fear. We may accept known risks, but when it is all about feelings, brains are overwhelmed with emotions and logic cease to be the guide. 

Instead of Friday, I took the Wednesday flight. On the way to airport, I took the highway through the Southern Suburb-Hezbollah stronghold. My Shitte friend was so worried when I called to ask for directions. He tried to direct me to another confusing route. That was overreaction. When I arrived to Beirut I went though the same route, and took directions from many people on the way, one even rode in and to took me to the hotel, in a mainly Christian area. He adamantly refused a ride back even to the nearest main street. 

After I returned the car to the rental office in the airport, I found that I had to refill the tank from the nearest gas station, which happened to be in the heart of the Southern Suburb. A couple of friends who knew were I was were panicking. I wasn’t even worried-not then, not through all my visit. 

The friendly, accommodating, peaceful, beautiful Lebanese were never sweeter. They expected my concerns and did their best to make me feel home. They damned politics and politicians, sectarians and foreign agents-the merchants of hate, war and distruction. Lebanese just wanted to go about their lives, chase their dreams and live in peace. 

May Allah bless Lebanon`s souls and hearts, and save them from the Angels of Death and Agents of Evil. They had enough! They deserve better. 






No comments:

Post a Comment